Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Amable, this ones for you little guy...

When we arrived to our land last week I was fighting within myself as I saw many children dropping bricks off for us to build our first children's home...

Amable. 6 years old. First to come, last to leave. 150 bricks. Paid roughly 10 cents.

Everything within me cried out "CHILD LABOR LAWS!" Their just kids! At the end of the day I have always found myself raising my voice for the children that have no voice, as a kind of advocate; in hopes that things can be changed for them. I thought, should we take a stand against the brick makers and the boss's as they always use the children in the summers to deliver bricks? At that point, in my mind I began to question "What is the root to this problem?" Is the problem initially children carrying the bricks? No. The problem is found in the midst of deep poverty and hunger. Families are hungry and in need of some extra money, so they send their children out to do these tough jobs. I began to ponder. Where is the solution? What can be done to help these children who work so hard simply to help support their families? Even, Amable at 6 years old?


Helping the families to learn skills and find jobs that in return they can begin to support their families in a good way and in return their children can live a balanced life and not that of harsh working conditions carrying bricks up and down mountains all day. Helping families, help themselves. I believe all children should learn to help their families and also learn the beauty of discipline and chores. Absolutely. But I also believe that it is not healthy for children to work in such conditions as I have witnessed here... and I am hopeful by helping thee families within our community, their children will not have to face the burden at such young ages and can simply be children. Fetching water. Collecting sticks for the fire. Herding sheep and cows. You know, that kind of normal thing. Yes, its this way all over the country. But. I believe change has to begin somewhere... and if the Lord wills it could trickle on through to the other provinces like a river, flowing on through. One can only hope.


With all that said, I am so excited for the time that our training center (formally called "meeting room / cafeteria) and trade school will be up and running. Why? Because I know God is going to restore dignity to families and many will be empowered through training and teaching to take steps towards self sufficiency & supporting their families in good ways having adequate food and basic necessities. We are grateful to be a part of God's work here, as He manifests his word in Jeremiah 29:11 giving His people a hope for the future. A friend once called this scene "the building blocks of summer"... I think she was right on point here. Truly, these have become the building blocks of summer. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers


Blog Archive

Blog Design By